[oak perl] HTML::Embperl vs HTML::Mason

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Mon Feb 14 16:07:57 PST 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 02:10:24PM -0800, Patrick Killelea wrote:
> Hello Perlmongers,
> I'm about to start work on a new website and I need all the usual stuff:
>
>    form handling
>    session tracking
>    page templates
>
> From a bit of research, I see I can do this with either HTML::Embperl,
> which does sessions, or with Apache::Session + HTML::Mason (Mason
> doesn't do sessions itself).
>
> I did a quick Google search on each and see these hits:
>
> 24500 HTML::Embperl
> 52400 HTML::Mason
>
> Maybe Mason is much more popular, but I really need the session tracking
> for logins. Which do you think is better? Or is there some other
> perl+Apache option for all this?

Just MNSHO here, but it seems to me that HTML::Mason actively
discourages people from keeping their presentation logic separate from
their business logic.  To me, this is a Bad Thing(TM).  In re: session
tracking, I suppose it depends on just what kind of session tracking
you'd like to do.  A thing called memcached can help scale session
tracking to something gigantic.

http://www.danga.com/memcached/

You might consider Template::Toolkit, too.
http://template-toolkit.org/

Cheers,
David Fetter david at fetter.org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!