[oak perl] Good perl examples on the web

Belden Lyman blyman at iii.com
Fri Feb 4 15:33:53 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 15:22, David Fetter wrote:
> If "etc." were an algorithmic, or even a heuristic process for me, I
> would already have described it.  The sight of poor code can be like
> the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard or the smell of rotting meat.
> IOW, the reaction happens in well under a second through no
> (conscious) rational process.

Aha. Gotcha.

This would make for a fun Oakland.pm meeting (said the member who
never goes to Oakland.pm meetings): bring several pieces of code,
and... describe why they're execrable? everyone secretly vote on
how "good" they think it is? something?

Hmm.

> Sometimes after that, it's possible, although not necessarily helpful,
> to go backwards and construct some logical reason for the reaction.
>
> > > Cheers,
> >
> > Indeed, oakland.pm is overdue for a beer drink.
> > Belden, really should do something about that-^
>
> Hey, Casa Donde <http://casadonde.org/> has always been available for
> meetings.  Beer is always available there.  Jupiter in Berkeley is OK,
> but a little noisy.

I'm not sure what's funnier: the Note, the Warning, or the fact that
it took me almost a minute to figure out that no, you don't run a bar.

Hmm.

Drink beer. Throw popcorn at projections of bad code.

My Monday evenings are free these next few weeks (until Venece's
semester ends and her night class is done). Name a day and I'll
probably be there. (Or I'll counteroffer.)

Belden