[oak perl] Good perl examples on the web

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Sat Feb 5 13:46:20 PST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 03:33:53PM -0800, Belden Lyman wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 15:22, David Fetter wrote:

> > If "etc." were an algorithmic, or even a heuristic process for me,
> > I would already have described it.  The sight of poor code can be
> > like the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard or the smell of
> > rotting meat.  IOW, the reaction happens in well under a second
> > through no (conscious) rational process.
>
> Aha. Gotcha.
>
> This would make for a fun Oakland.pm meeting (said the member who
> never goes to Oakland.pm meetings): bring several pieces of code,
> and... describe why they're execrable? everyone secretly vote on how
> "good" they think it is? something?
>
> Hmm.

That sounds good.  Most people I know like to bag on others' code.
And remember, you're not the same person you were years ago :)

> > Sometimes after that, it's possible, although not necessarily
> > helpful, to go backwards and construct some logical reason for the
> > reaction.

> > > Indeed, oakland.pm is overdue for a beer drink.  Belden, really
> > > should do something about that-^
> >
> > Hey, Casa Donde <http://casadonde.org/> has always been available
> > for meetings.  Beer is always available there.  Jupiter in
> > Berkeley is OK, but a little noisy.
>
> I'm not sure what's funnier: the Note, the Warning, or the fact that
> it took me almost a minute to figure out that no, you don't run a
> bar.

Heh.

> Hmm.
>
> Drink beer. Throw popcorn at projections of bad code.

You have a projector?

> My Monday evenings are free these next few weeks (until Venece's
> semester ends and her night class is done). Name a day and I'll
> probably be there. (Or I'll counteroffer.)

Hrm.  Well, things are a bit hectic 'til the 16th, then or after is
fine.

Cheers,
David Fetter david at fetter.org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!