[oak perl] Good perl examples on the web

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Fri Feb 4 15:22:51 PST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 03:12:42PM -0800, Belden Lyman wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 14:54, David Fetter wrote:

> > > How do you vet?  run using Safe, or eyeball the code?
>
> > For example, Matt's Script Archive and its spawn have a certain
> > stench to them.
>
> Yes and yes. NMS is a good alternative to the historic MSA scripts.
> http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/ istr reading that even MSA
> recommends using NMS, and Matt has taken to re-writing some of his
> old scripts.
>
> Still. It's out there.
>
> > Then there's checking whether it's "strict clean," "warnings
> > clean," etc.
> >

> It's the "etc." that I'm particularly interested in... I'll wait for
> your first review.

If "etc." were an algorithmic, or even a heuristic process for me, I
would already have described it.  The sight of poor code can be like
the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard or the smell of rotting meat.
IOW, the reaction happens in well under a second through no
(conscious) rational process.

Sometimes after that, it's possible, although not necessarily helpful,
to go backwards and construct some logical reason for the reaction.

> > Cheers,
>
> Indeed, oakland.pm is overdue for a beer drink.
> Belden, really should do something about that-^

Hey, Casa Donde <http://casadonde.org/> has always been available for
meetings.  Beer is always available there.  Jupiter in Berkeley is OK,
but a little noisy.

Cheers,
D (hic!)
--
David Fetter david at fetter.org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!