[oak perl] Tue. Dec. 10 Meeting

Belden Lyman blyman at iii.com
Mon Dec 9 12:16:22 CST 2002

George Woolley wrote:

> Lightning Talks
> I believe 4 people have said they'll do lightning talks.

Refresh our minds on who said what?

> My understanding is that when the 5 minute mark comes,
> that's it whether or not you feel you've said what you set out to say.

That's my understanding as well.

> Since I haven't seen anything about Q & A, here's my proposal:
> If you don't want to answer questions, fine.
> If you do want to do Q & A, just get them done before the 5 minutes are up.
> (Hey, if someone has a burning Q, they can ask it later.
> There are lots of options for that.)

Also, speakers should say whether they want a rapt audience
or whether heckling is allowed.

> Future Meetings
> * Next Meeting. where and when?
>   maybe same time and place. i.e, 2nd Tue. of Jan., i.e. Jan. 14?
>   Belden will be giving a talk on
> "Using OO Modules: Comparing Functional and Object-Oriented Interfaces"

I'll start with an example from PBML, pulling signatures out of an
e-mail archive. First I'll show a simple script approach; from there,
we'll see how that approach can be abstracted into a functional-
interfaced module, and then into an OO module. At the end, we'll compare
how to use the two different modules with side-by-side code that does
the same thing.

At least, that's my plan as of now.