[oak perl] Tue. Dec. 10 Meeting

George Woolley george at metaart.org
Sun Dec 8 20:38:47 CST 2002

Hi, All,
Kool, we're about to have our second meeting on Tuesday.
There are a bunch of things to commuicate about that.

Most Important
-----------------------
The most important thing is for you to come!

Tentative Agenda
---------------------------
Below is how I'm imagining the meeting.

Introductions
Everyone introduces themselves briefly.
Just a few sentences would be kool.
(Given how articulate some of us are,
this could otherwise take much of the meeting.)

Lightning Talks
I believe 4 people have said they'll do lightning talks.
My understanding is that when the 5 minute mark comes,
that's it whether or not you feel you've said what you set out to say.
Since I haven't seen anything about Q & A, here's my proposal:
If you don't want to answer questions, fine.
If you do want to do Q & A, just get them done before the 5 minutes are up.
(Hey, if someone has a burning Q, they can ask it later.
There are lots of options for that.)

Filtering with Unix Utilities
I am doing this.
My experience is that when I'm data munging,
I can often do much of my data research using Unix filter utilities.
And they are kind of fun.

Reports
* Perl Basics Mailing List -- if Mike feels like saying something
* Perl Quest: "Perl is All Over" -- me
* East Bay Beer-Sig -- if anyone who went feels like saying anything

Future Meetings
* Next Meeting. where and when?
  maybe same time and place. i.e, 2nd Tue. of Jan., i.e. Jan. 14?
  Belden will be giving a talk on
"Using OO Modules: Comparing Functional and Object-Oriented Interfaces"
* I've invited Dan Meiwether to speak on Tue. Feb. 11.
  topic: his choice of the 4 mentioned earlier.
* 2nd Tue. as our regular time?
* any other thoughts

Logistics