[oak perl] Tue. Dec. 10 Meeting

George Woolley george at metaart.org
Mon Dec 9 18:33:37 CST 2002

On Monday 09 December 2002 10:16 am, Belden Lyman wrote:
> George Woolley wrote:
> > Lightning Talks
> > I believe 4 people have said they'll do lightning talks.
>
> Refresh our minds on who said what?
Hm, Good question.
Looking back at posts and personal emails,
I see 3 (not 4) people saying they'll do lightning talks.
   * Dave Fetter
   * George Woolley (oh, my, that's me?!)
   * Mike Lewis
As far as I can tell, I, somehow, forgot to ask you.
So I'll do it now:
Belden, would you be willing to give a lightning talk tomorrow?
====== begin aside =========================================
All,  anyone else want to give a lightning talk tomorrow?  -- G
\===== end aside ===========================================/

> > My understanding is that when the 5 minute mark comes,
> > that's it whether or not you feel you've said what you set out to say.
>
> That's my understanding as well.
Kool! 5 minutes and then onto the next talk.

> > Since I haven't seen anything about Q & A, here's my proposal:
> > If you don't want to answer questions, fine.
> > If you do want to do Q & A, just get them done before the 5 minutes are
> > up. (Hey, if someone has a burning Q, they can ask it later.
> > There are lots of options for that.)
>
> Also, speakers should say whether they want a rapt audience
> or whether heckling is allowed.
Sounds good to me.
(Not sure what I'll opt for personally -- maybe, heckling encouraged?!?)

> > Future Meetings
> > * Next Meeting. where and when?
> >   maybe same time and place. i.e, 2nd Tue. of Jan., i.e. Jan. 14?
> >   Belden will be giving a talk on
> > "Using OO Modules: Comparing Functional and Object-Oriented Interfaces"
>
> I'll start with an example from PBML, pulling signatures out of an
> e-mail archive. First I'll show a simple script approach; from there,
> we'll see how that approach can be abstracted into a functional-
> interfaced module, and then into an OO module. At the end, we'll compare
> how to use the two different modules with side-by-side code that does
> the same thing.
>
> At least, that's my plan as of now.
Thanks for the preview.
====== begin aside ===============================================
Mike,  Belden makes reference to PBML.
We have a number of new people on the list.
Some of them may not know what PBML is.
Would you be willing to make a post saying something like the following?
   PBML is an abbreviation for ...
   You can subscribe to PBML at ...
   You can also access the PBML archive there.
   It's kool because ...
And perhaps do something similar at the meeting (Tuesday)?  -- G
     -- G