[oak perl] Re: [PBML] Perl books > OO talk?

Belden Lyman blyman at iii.com
Tue Dec 3 18:13:13 CST 2002

George Woolley wrote:

> Hm, can anyone suggest a title for a talk
> on what Mike finds interesting in OO?

"Using OO Modules".

Originally when OO came up on this list as an
arena for group talks, I assumed that the bent
of the talk would be "Writing OO Modules", or
"Understanding Perl Objects".

> If we had someone knowlegable about OO
> speaking on that, would you be interested?

Speaking on "Using OO Modules" ? Not really: at
the user level, the difference between a module
with an OO interface and a module with a functional
interface is pretty small.

I'd have fun presenting code that has both an OO and
functional interface, and show programs that use either
interface. (See my first suggestion, at the end)

> Personally, I think such a person would inevitably
> say some interesting things about OO development in Perl.
> And let's assume an open question period.

By "interesting things about OO development in Perl",
do you mean:

(a) interesting things relating to how Perl's OO was
     developed into the language itself, or

(b) interesting things relating to developing one's
     own OO modules.

> My questions are not academic.

Neither are my answers :)

> There is a fellow who has agreed to speak to us
> and one of the four topics he proposed was OO Perl.

But what did he propose: "Using OO Modules", "Writing
Your Own OO Modules", or "Understanding Perl Objects" ?
Generally when I hear people say they want to hear about
OO Perl, I think they mean one of the latter two talks.
Find out what he's suggesting. Mike might be wanting
something different.

> I could propose to him a more limited talk on OO,
> if someone would provide a name for it.

Suggested above.

> But are there a number of people who'd find that a good topic?

> Answers? Counter-proposals? Comments?

I'm willing to talk about:

"Using OO Modules: Comparing Functional and Object-Oriented Interfaces"
"Writing OO Modules for Fun and Profit: Let Objects Transform Your CVS"
"Understanding Perl Objects: Simple Data Becomes an Object of Desire!!"

I actually have no clue what the difference is between the second and
third talks (8o

Belden