[Nh-pm] Introduction: Concord, NH

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Wed Sep 11 18:25:07 CDT 2002

>http://www.disobey.com/amphetadesk/history.htm.  I played with DailyUpdate
>about the time it was becoming NewsClipper, even did a prototype portal page
>for a paying project.  (of course when they did the "real" portal they used
>Java and a lot of expensive commercial software).

As usual. The hardest problem to conquer with open source isn't quality or
documentation or ease-of-use, but rather "free". Too many businesses are
used to paying for crap, and getting something better for free is a
"pipe-dream" that died back in Ford's day.

>definitely give it a try, maybe it will save some of the time I spend
>wandering around my bookmarks each day.

Cool, be sure to let me know how it works for ya.

>I also enjoyed (from AmphetaDesk.pl):
>
> > # Dedicated to all the companies who wait until a large user base becomes
> > #   dependant on their freeware, then shafting said happy campers with
> > #     mandatory payment for continued usage. I spit on your grave.
>
>Amen!

Heh, heh. There are two easy examples for that one:

 - Radio Userland, an aggregator just like an AmphetaDesk (as the
   history page states, it inspired AmphetaDesk). Got a huge userbase,
   then turned into a 30-day forced-shareware.

 - BookmarkSync, a bookmark synchronizer for any OS. I'd been using
   it for free for about two years, when suddenly, bam!, a pay
   piece of software. Inspired me to start working on the now-
   wallowing Syncasaurus (which, if I had the time, I'd still
   be working on).

[1] http://www.sf.net/projects/syncasaurus/
    http://www.disobey.com/syncasaurus/

--
Morbus Iff ( The power of Grayskull compels you! )
Tech: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/779 - articles and weblog