[Nh-pm] Introduction: Concord, NH

Mark Polhamus meplists at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 11 06:01:56 CDT 2002

Morbus Iff wrote:
> Hey there. New member of the list. I'm from Concord, NH, and you can find
> more trivial facts at http://www.disobey.com/about/morbus.shtml. My latest
> efforts have been writing for O'Reilly and Apple, and coding the pure-perl
> AmphetaDesk [1], which works on Mac, Windows and Linux. Perl doesn't need
> to be installed for the Mac or Windows version. It's unique enough that
> I've been commissioned to do a Perl.com article on it...
>
> Anyways. Yup.
>
> [1] http://www.disobey.com/amphetadesk/

Morbus:

I enjoyed reading your history of Amphetadesk at
http://www.disobey.com/amphetadesk/history.htm.  I played with DailyUpdate
about the time it was becoming NewsClipper, even did a prototype portal page
for a paying project.  (of course when they did the "real" portal they used
Java and a lot of expensive commercial software).

Anyway I think your history is classic for open source: finding solutions that
didn't quite make it, then "scratching that itch" and doing it yourself.  I'll
definitely give it a try, maybe it will save some of the time I spend
wandering around my bookmarks each day.

I also enjoyed (from AmphetaDesk.pl):

> # Dedicated to all the companies who wait until a large user base becomes
 > #   dependant on their freeware, then shafting said happy campers with
 > #     mandatory payment for continued usage. I spit on your grave.

Amen!

Welcome (but I just got here myself),

-- Mark