[Memphis.pm] Perl 5.6

Brock Sides philarete at mindspring.com
Mon May 22 20:46:44 CDT 2000

Big Ed wrote:

> Is anyone here running perl 5.6?  I've been wanting to upgrade since it was
> released, but I'm not sure if mod_perl will work with it, or if there's any
> difference to the syntax of my 5.005 scripts..

I can't say that I've tried to mod_perl with 5.6, but I'd wager there
won't be any problems. mod_perl incompatibility would be enough to hold
back a release. There won't be any need to change your scripts, unless
you've written them to rely on some very obscure bug in 5.005. (Perl is
backwards compatible, but not bugwards compatible. :)

I would have no fear about rolling out 5.6 into a production
environment. On the other hand, I can't think of a particularly
compelling reason to do so, unless you're just dying to try out
lvaluable subroutines. :)

Brock

P.S. What Perly topic would people be interested in seeing a
presentation on at the next GOLUM/Memphis.pm meeting?

P.P.S. Bye, Phil; and good luck in Atlanta. When are you leaving? We
should have a going away get-together at Huey's. And does this mean we
all have a place to crash during ALA?
with 'unsubscribe memphis-pm-list' in the body of the message.