[Memphis.pm] Perl 5.6

Igor Vulfson ivulfson at fedex.com
Mon May 22 16:49:04 CDT 2000

> Is anyone here running perl 5.6?  I've been wanting to upgrade since it was
> released, but I'm not sure if mod_perl will work with it, or if there's any
> difference to the syntax of my 5.005 scripts..

Although perl.com claims that "[Perl 5.6.0] is a stable, tested
release that you should use in production environments", it would
seem worth some time waiting for Perl 5.6.1 - I honestly don't trust
any .0 releases, even if Christianson and Wall are involved.  Plus,
there are no features in Perl 5.6 that would somehow better mod_perl's
performance as compared to Perl 5.005 - in any case, I don't think
mod_perl has been rewritten to use the enhancements introduced in Perl
5.6.  So, you would be relying on buglessness of Perl 5.6 and of the
latest version of mod_perl - 1.24, if I'm not mistaking.

On a more personal note, I've been running mod_perl/1.21 on
Apache/1.3.9 and Perl 5.005_03 under Sun Solaris 2.7 for a few months
now, and have been very happy with the performance and stability.

Regards,
iv
--
webmaster
http://codeflux.com/
with 'unsubscribe memphis-pm-list' in the body of the message.