[Melbourne-pm] Looking for a (cheap) machine that provides 113-bit precision long double

sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au
Mon Feb 22 03:19:52 PST 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Toby Corkindale
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2016 3:17 PM
To: melbourne-pm at pm.org
Subject: Re: [Melbourne-pm]Looking for a (cheap) machine that provides
113-bit precision long double

> If you have as much variants of hardware lying around as you implied in
> your last message, you should be able to dig up some plain old x86/amd64
> gear, right?

There's only 3 boxes here -  a Windows7 box (Intel Core i5-3570 CPU), a
PowerMac G5 with a PPC970 CPU now running Debian Wheezy, and a Ubuntu-14.04
box with an "AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+".
I guess that last one fits the bill.

> The qemu packages are all available for Ubuntu there.

This is all completely new territory for me.
I found:
http://www.unixmen.com/how-to-install-and-configure-qemu-in-ubuntu/

I don't really understand the section "2. Creating Virtual machines", though
I spose I might be able to work through it.

> Once you've done that, you'll also have access to the qemu-s390x, alpha
> and mips64el emulators as well! Bonus!

I'd probably settle for just one - let's say, alpha. Do I therefore first
need to locate an alpha iso image (or somesuch) ?

Cheers,
Rob