[Melbourne-pm] Looking for a (cheap) machine that provides 113-bit precision long double

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Mon Feb 22 16:41:24 PST 2016

On Monday, 22 February 2016 10:19:52 PM AEDT, sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au
wrote:
> This is all completely new territory for me.
> I found:
> http://www.unixmen.com/how-to-install-and-configure-qemu-in-ubuntu/
>
> I don't really understand the section "2. Creating Virtual
> machines", though I spose I might be able to work through it.

I'm sure you'll figure it out.

I think most people use the virt-manager package to get a GUI around the VM
management.

I tend to use the qemu-user-static packages so that I can get a chroot VM
rather than having to boot an entire machine up, but that might be a more
advanced route. It's very nifty though -- the emulator just kicks in for
individual processes rather than having to run an entire virtual machine.

>> Once you've done that, you'll also have access to the
>> qemu-s390x, alpha and mips64el emulators as well! Bonus!
>
> I'd probably settle for just one - let's say, alpha. Do I
> therefore first need to locate an alpha iso image (or somesuch)
> ?

That's the most straightforward way, but you can also use qemu-debootstrap.