[Melbourne-pm] S3 modules

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Thu May 2 21:44:53 PDT 2013

On 03/05/13 14:23, Andrew McN wrote:
> Given that the module name explicitly refers to Amazon, There's some
> sense in that being the scope of what it does.
>
> Is the name "S3" specific to Amazon's service, or can that refer to any
> compatible storage service? What would you expect that a module that's
> not specific to Amazon should be called?

Amazon created the S3 system and designed the protocol, so initially
they were the first on the scene. However since then the S3 API has been
used in a lot of other products..

Really an appropriate name would be Net::S3 rather than Amazon::S3.

I guess I can just fork and rename and upload, as Sam suggests, but I
don't really have any intention of taking on the workload of maintaining
the module, so it seems irresponsible.

Then again, the real author appears uninterested, so eh.. who knows.

Toby