YAPC::AU::Bruce.pm

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Wed Jan 21 15:31:39 CST 2004

I love the idea of doing a competition and organising a prize from
someone. It worked great at Linux Conf (although I doubt IBM will give
Perl a $40,000 IBM !!!).

I think however that the task needs to be a little closer to
achievable. The competition in Linux Conf was only an AI for a 3D
Tetris game - not a HUGE bit of code, but still a challenge.

A Pure Coverage solution would be the holy grail but probably not a
fair test for a small prize ?

Maybe the domain can remain the same but the solution simplified ?

Scott

On 21/01/2004, at 6:11 PM, leif.eriksen at hpa.com.au wrote:

> I remember us brainstorming activities etc on butcher paper, and the
> topic of participants writing a YAPC::Bruce.pm module that did
> 'something useful'(tm). Given the success (and cool prize) at the
> Linux conf for the hacking competition, perhaps a topic to challenge
> the code-monkeys is appropriate ... any opinions ?
>
> For my 2 cents worth, I'd really like to see something like
> PureCoverage, a really nice tool that provided metrics on how much of
> your code has actually been exercised by your test harness (your
> what...). PureCoverage was originally written by PureAtria, who were
> bought by Rational - who were bought by IBM ...
>
> I've searched CPAN, and there are some pretty incomplete attempts - so
> it appear to be a non-trivial problem.
>
> --
> Leif Eriksen
> Senior Analyst/Programmer
>
> HPA
> Direct: +61 3 9217 5545
> Fax   : +61 3 9217 5702
>
> http://www.hpa.com.au/

> IMPORTANT
> The contents of this e-mail and its attachments are confidential and
> intended
> solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are
> addressed.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify
> the HPA Postmaster, postmaster at hpa.com.au, then delete the e-mail.
>
> This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept for
> the presence of computer viruses by MimeSweeper.  Before opening or
> using any attachments, check them for viruses and defects.
>
> Our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments.
>
> HPA collects personal information to provide and market our services.
> For more information about use, disclosure and access see our Privacy
> Policy at www.hpa.com.au

- --
Scott Penrose
Open source developer
http://linux.dd.com.au/
scottp at dd.com.au

Dismaimer: Open sauce usually ends up never coming out (of the bottle).

Please do not send me Word or PowerPoint attachments.