YAPC::AU::Bruce.pm

Stas Bekman stas at stason.org
Wed Jan 21 19:42:47 CST 2004

Scott Penrose wrote:

> I love the idea of doing a competition and organising a prize from
> someone. It worked great at Linux Conf (although I doubt IBM will give
> Perl a $40,000 IBM !!!).
>
> I think however that the task needs to be a little closer to achievable.
> The competition in Linux Conf was only an AI for a 3D Tetris game - not
> a HUGE bit of code, but still a challenge.
>
> A Pure Coverage solution would be the holy grail but probably not a fair
> test for a small prize ?
>
> Maybe the domain can remain the same but the solution simplified ?

How about putting the challenge into a good cause. Make people compete at
closing perl/CPAN modules bugs (RT's). A person who closes the most amount of
bugs wins. The committee could choose a pool of bugs to choose from (picking
interesting bugs and probably giving each a different weight to be fair.)

I guess the only hard part is for the jury to verify that the bug was actually
resolved. Just an idea ;)

mailto:stas at stason.org http://use.perl.org http://apacheweek.com