[Madrid-pm] Fwd: [Venue] Fwd: The deadline to send your YAPC::Europe 2014 proposal is tomorrow

JJ Merelo / Dirección OSL dirosl en ugr.es
Sab Jul 6 07:28:06 PDT 2013

Hola,
Una buena cantidad de preguntas. La mayoría son cosas locales, pero es
posible que os tenga que pedir ayuda para preguntas como 16 y quizás 13.
Por cierto, ¿qué posibilidades de patrocinio fuera de Granada prevéis?

Saludos

JJ

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Anton Berezin <tobez en tobez.org>
Date: 2013/7/5
Subject: Re: [Venue] Fwd: The deadline to send your YAPC::Europe 2014
proposal is tomorrow
To: JJ Merelo / Dirección OSL <dirosl en ugr.es>
Cc: venue en yapceurope.org

JJ,

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 03:26:22PM +0200, JJ Merelo / Dirección OSL wrote:
> Here goes the full UGR proposal, attached and online. Thanks!
>
> Please find attached the UGR bid for YAPC::Eu 2014. It's also openly
> available at the GitHub site:
> https://github.com/oslugr/yapc-eu/blob/master/lib/YAPC/Europe/UGR.pod

Here are our questions to you.  The deadline for answering them is Saturday,
July the 13th.  Thanks!

1. You mention the auction.  Please note that the auction is not a
required item.  Some members of the venue committee think that YAPC
auctions are a thing of the past for a number of reasons, and note that
in the recent years YAPC organizers have tried to replace them with more
engaging things.  See for example

-
http://blog.yapcna.org/post/13102310411/auction-replaced-with-raffle-at-yapc-na-2012
-
http://blogs.perl.org/users/andrew_shitov/2012/11/yapceurope-2013-in-kiev-week-minus-39-random-ideas.html

Would you consider going for a replacement not unlike the ones above?

2. You mentioned organizing various "side trips", but it's not clear if
these are a Friend&Family program during the conference or if they are
targeted at the attendees and will therefore happen at a different
time/day than the ones of the conference.  Could you clarify this?

3. While it sounds nice that the Free Software Office would cover a
loss, it is doubtful that the YAPC would generate a loss.  Will you
donate anything back to YEF / TPF / YAPC::Europe::2015 / sponsor other
Perl events if YAPC::Europe in Granada makes a profit?

4. What are the reasons that may cause you not to use the Act system for
the conference site?

5. Given the fact that you are tied to the University schedule, are you
sure you will be able to use Wednesday to Friday (which you mentioned in
the Q&A section of the proposal) for the main conference days, if you
opt for early September in the end?

6. Do you have any alternative venue candidates?

7. Would you consider cheaper corporate tickets, say, of 400-500 Euro
instead of 900?

8. Did you already approach to any potential sponsors?

9. What is included in 35 euro catering costs for the attendee?

10. How many meals a day are you going to provide?

11. Will catering be organised inside the venue or outside?

12. What is the deadline for early bird registrations?

13. How many attendees do you expect?

14. Can you roughly estimate the portion of speakers (you mention 75 of
them), early bird registrations, students, regular and business
attendees?

15. In case you have no money for lunches, will it be possible for
everybody to find food on their own in a reasonable time (90 minutes for
outside lunches seems to be the optimum)? You mentioned a few cafes
outside but are they capable to serve 300 people at the same time?

16. How many local attendees might appear at the conference?

17. How many talk tracks are you going to have?

18. Do you know the configuration of the venue and if it contains enough
rooms and what is the capacity of them?

19. Is there a room in the venue that can hold all the attendees at the
same time?

20. Are the different rooms for talk tracks situated close enough to each
other so that the attendees can easily change rooms between talks?

21. The 10K euro "ballpark" you have got in the "Budget" section, what
does it include?

22. Do you have enough team members to organise countdown service in
each of the talk rooms?

23. Where are you going to find volunteers for this and how will you
motivate them?

24. Are there any other big events known to happen in Granada in late
July of early September 2014 which may cause problems with finding cheap
(or any) hotels?

25. What kind of a hackathon are you planning for the days preceding the
conference?

26. Are there microphones for questions from the audience in the talk
rooms (at least in the big room)?

27. Is it possible to quickly replace projectors in case they happen to
turn out of order in the middle of the talk?

28. Is Wi-Fi connection open for SSH ports and such?

29. In case it is not possible to use auditorium-style rooms for each of
the talk tracks, will the lack of air conditioning cause any problems
for the attendees?

30. Your proposal is publically hosted on github, including the budget
calculations.  Do we have your permission to link to it from
http://www.yapceurope.org/ ?  If not, then maybe there is a sanitized
version of the proposal without the financials somewhere?

\Anton.
--
Our society can survive even a large amount of irrational regulation.
  -- John McCarthy

--

JJ Merelo
UGR::Oficina de Software Libre::Dirección