[LA.pm] LA.PM September 21 at Media Temple

Peter Benjamin Pete at PeterBenjamin.com
Wed Sep 21 19:32:35 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 17:51 -0700, Jordan Schwartz wrote:

> Following is too much information about mediatemple.

Let me prefix my post to state I am a long time Open Source User Group
Advocate here in Los Angeles.

Hi Jordan,

For members who have attended the event at mt, I agree.  Let's look at a
different scope.  That of the first time attendee.

mt is such a Hard place to find.  The lobby is hard to find.  The
meeting room is hard to find.  Right?

You recall your first time there?  Did you walk right in?  Or have to
ask?  Or did you follow someone?

If a first time attendee is early or late, then the potential for not
finding the room is quite high for mt.

To get new members to the mt facility, and let them know before they
leave the office to drive there, they have detailed instructions...

Well, your first time attendee rate will go Up.

That's a good thing.

Putting detailed driving directions at the bottom of the announcement is
a solid way to attract new members.

The needed information is right there, not forcing them to spend their
valuable time going to find a map.

Now, no one is paid for running Perl Mongers.  So, even though it's run
by professionals, it's has no entry fee.

Professionally run groups recognize the value of attendee's time and
make as easy as possible to attend.

Thus, having driving, parking, lobby and room step by step directions
gives the Open Source Mongers a professional polish.

One man's opinion, and he's sticking too it.

Peter