[LA.pm] Followup blog post from this evening's meeting: testing command-running code

Joshua Barratt josh at mediatemple.net
Thu Sep 23 01:18:35 PDT 2010

Hey all,

It was nice to meet most of you for the first time tonight.

I mentioned the idea of, for perl apps that do system() kinds of
things, hooking those calls so you can test them.

I wrote up a blog post about the idea, in case it's useful to anyone:
http://serialized.net/2010/09/testing-perl-code-that-runs-commands/

The "example" github repo is: http://github.com/jbarratt/Acme-System

If anyone knows of a less hacky way to make Data::Section work inside
a test, (or an alternative module that works with free-form block
names), that would be cool.

Josh