[LA.pm] New Members: Introduce Yourself!

Carl Hayter hayter at usc.edu
Fri Mar 9 21:32:57 PST 2007

> Your name

Carl Hayter

> Your experience level with perl

Since about 1997 or so.  Many many years ago I saw some Perl and was not
impressed.  "Just awk and sed and sh." all thrown together...  this was
around 1990 or so.

Years later when I started working for The University of Southern California
in the 'University Computing Services', or 'Information Services Division',
or 'Information Technology Services', or ??? (depending on the current
management mood :).  Anyway, some of the CLI tools didn't do what I expected
them to do and I went looking for a scripting language to make them do what
I expected.  While I thought I would end up with TCL/Expect, for some reason
I looked at Perl again and was hooked.

I read a couple of books, started hanging around on PerlMonks.org (aka.
zengargoyle), and *presto*, I like Perl, a lot, I use it almost every day.

Lately I've been dabbling in Erlang (to hack my ejabberd XMPP servers) and
trying to learn Haskell (thanks to Pugs for the introduction).  I eagerly
and sometimes impatiently await Perl 6. :)

> What you hope to get from this group?

I've only been to one meeting, but I wish to attend more often.  It just
seems that sometimes the meeting is far away, and other times when I would
go (like the next scheduled meeting), I'll be out of town at a conference.

----
Carl Hayter
ITS - Data Network Operations
University of Southern California