[LA.pm] hollywood.pm.org

Peter Scott Peter at PSDT.com
Thu Feb 2 09:07:12 PST 2006

At 10:47 PM 2/1/2006, Peter Benjamin wrote:
>At 05:08 PM 2/1/2006, Robin Rowe wrote:
> >gone away due to lack of interest. He plainly doubted another group here
> >could be supported. When I pointed out that Los Angeles is a 465 square
> >mile area, Dave said that London is 600 square miles and served very
> >well by just one Perl group.
>
>The difference of housing density between London and LA.
>LA is wall to wall houses.  London is mostly grass from
>what I saw on the train leaving the "city" of London.

Your impression is erroneous.  Firstly, that which goes by the term
"City of London" is actually a tiny area in the heart of London
encompassing the financial district.  "Greater London" refers to that
city plus numerous surrounding boroughs.  But from outside Greater
London, people will invariably refer to Greater London as just
"London".  Much like Los Angeles, only the ratio of surroundings to
core is more pronounced.

In order to see "mostly grass" you would have been leaving Greater
London.  Anywhere near the City, London is packed densely with far more
residential high-rise housing than Los Angeles.  Its population
eclipses that of Los Angeles (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_London).  British people live in
much smaller average footprints than Americans.  Also, Greater London
has public transportation that works extremely well.  My wife, a native
Angeleno, could not comprehend its efficiency when I described it until
we went there.  Transit times can be shorter than they would be if you
used a car and the streets were clear, which they are not.

That last factor argues in favor of breaking out Hollywood simply
because of the sheer difficulty of travelling in and out of the
area.  Although I can't help wondering whether it would be followed by
a West Hollywood schism.

--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies