[LA.pm] hollywood.pm.org

terry mcintyre terrymcintyre at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 10:01:47 PST 2006

--- Peter Scott <Peter at PSDT.com> wrote:
> Anywhere near the City, London is packed
> densely with far more residential high-rise
> housing than Los Angeles.  Its population
> eclipses that of Los Angeles (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_London).
> British people live in much smaller average
> footprints than Americans.

One wonders if this is true vis a vis Angelenos -
I am from Pittsburgh, and I can tell you that
living quarters here are quite cramped, due to
the cost of land, compared to what one enjoys in
the Midwest.

> Also, Greater London has public transportation
> that works extremely well.

There is probably a correlation between high
density and the effectiveness of mass transit.
Imagine the web of tunnels and trains which would
be required to carry people to and fro the myriad
locations in the Greater Los Angeles area. Imagine
the risks of a major earthquake.

I can, by the way, well imagine a place where traffic
is worse than in Los Angeles. Try Pittsburgh during a
snow storm -- it can take hours to travel 8 miles.
Even
an ordinary rush hour can cause an 8 mile commute to
take over an hour.

Terry McIntyre
UNIX for hire
software development / systems administration / security

213-291-5169 or 2132915169 at tmomail.com ( text )
terrymcintyre at yahoo.com