[LA.pm] contrasting London and LA

Kevin Scaldeferri kevin+lapm at scaldeferri.com
Tue Aug 15 12:20:21 PDT 2006

On Aug 15, 2006, at 10:45 AM, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> So, next question, how many recruiters/hiring managers on this list are
> looking to recruit smart juniors and mentor them up?

We (Overture/Yahoo Search Marketing) absolutely did bring people in as
summer interns, and frequently hired them full-time after graduation.

Personally, I never used perl knowledge as a filter, even when hiring
for jobs that were primarily perl programming.  (Well, that's not quite
true.  If someone claimed to be a perl whiz but couldn't correctly
answer intermediate perl questions, that would get them the axe.)  What
was a problem in my view was the number of people, at any level of
experience, who couldn't answer questions about freshman level CS:
basic data structures and the like.

-kevin