[LA.pm] contrasting London and LA

Eric Gradman ehgrad at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Aug 15 11:20:37 PDT 2006

At Oversee we did just that.  Just to be clear, I am no longer an
employee of Oversee, but I have great things to say about them.  We
hired good developers with good computer science skills (in whatever
language), and sat them down with a Perl book.  I conducted multiple
"Perl Boot Camps."  New developers' first couple weeks with the
company were spent learning basic Perl, templating (TT), MVC design
patterns, and database interaction.

What I noticed is that even a few months developing commercial
software (in any language) made a new hire immeasurably more apt to
pick up the Perl in our dev environment.  That is to say, I think the
major stumbling block isn't so much the language but the patterns of
development: MVC, etc. but also patterns for handling high traffic
volumes, and even "how do I write code that talks to an SQL server?"
That should come as no surprise, but I have a feeling that those
sorts of patterns are easier to pick up in languages other than Perl.

TMTOWTDI (did I get that right?) can free experienced developers from
the constraints that other languages impose.  Coming to Perl from C
many years ago was an experience of "wow, I can write efficient code
concisely in a fraction of the time with Perl"  But I would not want
universities to necessarily churn out new developers who know Perl.
There's More Than One Way To Do It, and 95% of them are crap.
Identifying that 5% is easier if you've written production code in a
more structured language.