[LA.pm] fwd: Fwd: [lenzo@cepstral.com: [plan] YAPC North America 2003]

Robert Spier rspier at pobox.com
Thu Dec 5 12:00:09 CST 2002

------- start of forwarded message -------
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 12:43:28 -0500
To: phl at lists.pm.org
From: Walt Mankowski <waltman at pobox.com>
Subject: Fwd: [lenzo at cepstral.com: [plan] YAPC North America 2003]

I found this on another list, and thought people might be interesting
in the early planning for next year's YAPC.

Walt

----- Forwarded message from srl <slandrum at turing.csc.smith.edu> -----

From: srl <slandrum at turing.csc.smith.edu>
To: Boston Perl Mongers <boston-pm at pm.org>
Subject: [Boston.pm] Fwd: [lenzo at cepstral.com: [plan] YAPC North America 20=
03]
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 09:45:31 -0500

----- Forwarded message from Kevin Lenzo <lenzo at cepstral.com> -----

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:29:44 -0500
From: Kevin Lenzo <lenzo at cepstral.com>
To: yas-funds at yapc.org, yapc-plan at yapc.org
Subject: [plan] YAPC North America 2003

Friends,

We have three excellent bids for YAPC North America 2003 --
Ottawa, Boca Raton, and Washington DC.

All venues are University or affiliated, with identified dorm or other
inexpensive housing nearby.  Each has easy access from an international
airport, capacity for 300+ people in a single auditorium or three
simultaneous  tracks, and network (cabled and wireless) access.

Location and Staff:
  - All Groups have excellent credentials and a motivated group of
    volunteers.  Each would be disappointed if another were selected,
    but are open to hosting 2004 if possible.

  - All three bids are Eastern during Academic holiday at Universities
    - Ottawa         Carleton    May  15-17   Lead: Jay Lawrence
    - DC             GWU         May  28-30   Lead: Adam Turoff
    - Boca Raton     FAU         June 17-20   Lead: Kevin Meltzer

Issues include:
  - Expecting limited sponsorship this year: Economy sucks, hard to give.
    Has to be user funded, under $100/per, with speakers (50/300) not=20
paying.
    Expect 300-350 people.
  - Location Density of Perlers: DC wins here.  Toss-up between Ottawa=20
and
    Boca after that.
  - US/Canada Border: Considered minor.  Travel across is routine again.
  - Timing (including Dorm Room and Grounds constraints)
    Had to stay away from Perl Whirl and OSCon, giving:
  - Cost
    - Printing is cheaper in Canada
    - Grounds/AV: Ottawa ~=3D Boca, DC more expensive
    - Catering equivalent across venues (Scaled to costs allowed)
      (Can't we just have a potluck for dinner one night?)
  - Local interest -- All three are excellent on this point.

All sites and representatives are sincere, reliable, and able.  All bids
are excellent.

We would like to hear your collective thoughts on the merits of each as
we move to decision over the next days.  Timing, price, and perler=20
density
appear to be key considerations, all other things being equal.

Please advise,

Kevin

----- End forwarded message -----

----- End forwarded message -----

--=20
Shane R. Landrum         slandrum at cs.smith.edu                __o =20
"In the end, you write the book that grabs you                -\<,
by the throat and demands to be written." - Salman Rushdie  (*)/(*)