[JaxPM] dynamic external program output from long-running perl program

Nate Campi nate at campi.cc
Sun Dec 2 17:36:29 CST 2001

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er Nate Campi <nate at campi.cc> wrote -

begin  Nate Campi quotation of Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 11:23:19AM -0800:
> On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er Nate Campi <nate at campi.cc> wrote -
>
> I have a long-running perl program that I want to use to capture the
> output of different (UNIX) system commands. This is actually a perl
> module for AOL Intant Messenger (found it on CPAN). I'd eventually
> like to be able to query our monitoring system for the current and
> last alerts via AIM. I'll probably supplement our current email/pager
> alerts with AIM alerts, too (but that's another script ;)
>
> The problem is that any program output is gathered at compile time once,
> or if using eval at run time only once. For testing I want to get the
> current output of `date`, and I'll know it's working.
>
> Anyone know of a way I can do what I want here?

I ended up working this out, thanks anyways.
--
Nate Campi        http://www.campin.net        GnuPG key: 0xC17AEF79
Key fingerprint = BF12 722F 8799 E614 33CC  FAB7 5A90 C464 C17A EF79

So unleash your nmap-from-hell and beware, you may tickle an obscure
bug in an ancient box hand-built by Seymour Cray himself, the only one
of its kind ever made, whose sole user pays the salaries of everyone
you ever met in the entire time you worked at the company, with money
he makes with an investment strategy hand-coded in assembler for this
special machine, by an analytic wizard who has since died.