[JaxPM] dynamic external program output from long-running perl program

Nate Campi nate at campi.cc
Sun Dec 2 13:23:19 CST 2001

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er Nate Campi <nate at campi.cc> wrote -

I have a long-running perl program that I want to use to capture the
output of different (UNIX) system commands. This is actually a perl
module for AOL Intant Messenger (found it on CPAN). I'd eventually
like to be able to query our monitoring system for the current and
last alerts via AIM. I'll probably supplement our current email/pager
alerts with AIM alerts, too (but that's another script ;)

The problem is that any program output is gathered at compile time once,
or if using eval at run time only once. For testing I want to get the
current output of `date`, and I'll know it's working.

Anyone know of a way I can do what I want here?

For security reasons I'll have to take a hard look at if I really want
to deploy this, but either way it's fun to play with.
--
Nate Campi        http://www.campin.net        GnuPG key: 0xC17AEF79
Key fingerprint = BF12 722F 8799 E614 33CC  FAB7 5A90 C464 C17A EF79

"I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown