[JaxPM] No meetings - yet...

Glynn Black blackgr at alltel.net
Wed Jan 26 19:19:32 CST 2000

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er Glynn Black <blackgr at alltel.net> wrote -

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Jax PM Moderator wrote:

> > Would be happy to one day get out of a Microsoft centric development
> > environment but it certainly won't happen in Douglas. Anyone on the list
> > making their living to any degree with Perl?
>
> Yes, but I'm nowhere near Jacksonville.  I'll think of you all as I go
> play in the snow this afternoon.  I'll think of you and how much I miss
> the beach.  :)

Lucky you. Although I spent three years in Savannah, GA prior to my present
location, I'm still two to three hours away from the nearest beach myself. I'm
the type who likes to spend time on southern beaches in the fall and winter
anyway.

> > Also, I need to acquire five to ten Meg of web/ftp space to have a place to
> > drop my resume and source code for public access. I need something without
> > dial-up access and independent of my present ISP. Reasonable cost and
> > Linux friendly would be nice too :-) I'm looking for space that will
> > maintain continuity regardless of where I might be dialing in. Any advice
> > appreciated.
>
> I'll throw in a pitch for Addy & Associates (addy.com), a reliable and
> friendly web hosting firm in Callahan, FL (just north of town).  Full
> disclosure: I worked there for 6 months in 1997, and have known the owner
> for many years.  Since I noticed your email address, I'll also throw in
> the caveat that Alltel is their phone company, although I don't recall the
> service being particularly bad (except for that little snag when they
> moved the T1 a couple years ago).  I think their primary net connection is
> still through Digex.
>
> They're BSD-based, but that's not Linux-unfriendly, anyway.  Unlike many
> ISPs, they're open about system status, friendly enough that they'll fudge
> the bandwidth numbers if you didn't quite stay within your limits, and
> have few restrictions on shell access and CGI programming.

I appreciate the pointer. I just took a look and I'm pleasantly surprised. I
would have expected to pay much more for the listed services. Looks like
abby.com will fit the bill nicely. Thanks.

Glynn Black		blackgr at alltel.net