[JaxPM] No meetings - yet...

Jax PM Moderator jacksonville-pm-list at pm.org
Tue Jan 25 08:49:42 CST 2000

On the Jax.PM jacksonville-pm-list;
Jax PM Moderator <jacksonville-pm-list at pm.org> wrote -

jproctor at oit.umass.edu Posted:

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:22:29 -0500 (EST)
From: j proctor <jproctor at oit.umass.edu>
Subject: Re: [JaxPM] No meetings - yet...
To: jacksonville-pm-list at pm.org

> Would be happy to one day get out of a Microsoft centric development
> environment but it certainly won't happen in Douglas. Anyone on the list
> making their living to any degree with Perl?

Yes, but I'm nowhere near Jacksonville.  I'll think of you all as I go
play in the snow this afternoon.  I'll think of you and how much I miss
the beach.  :)

> Also, I need to acquire five to ten Meg of web/ftp space to have a place to
> drop my resume and source code for public access. I need something without
> dial-up access and independent of my present ISP. Reasonable cost and
> Linux friendly would be nice too :-) I'm looking for space that will
> maintain continuity regardless of where I might be dialing in. Any advice
> appreciated.

I'll throw in a pitch for Addy & Associates (addy.com), a reliable and
friendly web hosting firm in Callahan, FL (just north of town).  Full
disclosure: I worked there for 6 months in 1997, and have known the owner
for many years.  Since I noticed your email address, I'll also throw in
the caveat that Alltel is their phone company, although I don't recall the
service being particularly bad (except for that little snag when they
moved the T1 a couple years ago).  I think their primary net connection is
still through Digex.

They're BSD-based, but that's not Linux-unfriendly, anyway.  Unlike many
ISPs, they're open about system status, friendly enough that they'll fudge
the bandwidth numbers if you didn't quite stay within your limits, and
have few restrictions on shell access and CGI programming.

The Jacksonville Perl Monger's Group is operated by -
Bill -Sneex- Jones ( sneex at usa.net ),
(NOTE:  This LIST is Moderated...)