[pm-h] Perl Mongers meeting times

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Sun Jul 5 13:08:00 PDT 2009

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 13:51:56 -0600
Mike Flannigan <mikeflan at att.net> wrote:

> I agree totally, but I just went toGoToMeeting.com
> to set up my account and I discovered it is $50 per
> month!  Yikes.
>
> I sure would like to see something like that get going.
> I know WebEx works good, because I have used
> it numerous times.  It's not just the cost to users, but
> also the cost to the meeting organizers to get the
> microphones, etc to put it on.

It looks like WebEx is $59 per month, with no support for Linux.

I remember trying to use WebEx on Windows at a previous employer
without much success. I don't know how it is now.

As far as the cost is concerned, Wayne made the suggestion that people
might be willing to pay a "club fee" to help facilitate this. The
problem is that the only "organization" we have is Perl Mongers.
Houston.pm is not a "legal entity". As I've seen recently with the SVG
Open conference, becoming a "legal entity" is complicated and
potentially expensive.

If we can come up with a free solution (or low-cost that people can
make use of outside our meetings), I think that would be a better idea.

One of the problems at the moment seems to be that most of the
solutions I've seen are Windows-only. Many people use other OSes, and
that has been reflected so far in the attendance.

Does anyone have any experience with any meeting or screen sharing
software that is really cross platform?

If you don't know where you're going, you will probably end up somewhere
else.                                           -- Laurence J. Peter