[pm-h] Perl Mongers meeting times

Mike Flannigan mikeflan at att.net
Sun Jul 5 14:25:48 PDT 2009

G. Wade Johnson wrote:
> It looks like WebEx is $59 per month, with no support for Linux.
>
> I remember trying to use WebEx on Windows at a previous employer
> without much success. I don't know how it is now.
>
> As far as the cost is concerned, Wayne made the suggestion that people
> might be willing to pay a "club fee" to help facilitate this. The
> problem is that the only "organization" we have is Perl Mongers.
> Houston.pm is not a "legal entity". As I've seen recently with the SVG
> Open conference, becoming a "legal entity" is complicated and
> potentially expensive.
>
> If we can come up with a free solution (or low-cost that people can
> make use of outside our meetings), I think that would be a better idea.
>
> One of the problems at the moment seems to be that most of the
> solutions I've seen are Windows-only. Many people use other OSes, and
> that has been reflected so far in the attendance.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with any meeting or screen sharing
> software that is really cross platform?
>
> G. Wade

Agreed.

I was going to try Ekiga (Was GnomeMeeting) an
hour ago, but they quickly confused me with
3 different file choices that I didn't know which
one to get (I'm on Windows).  Maybe I am
supposed to get Microsoft NetMeeting - I'm
not sure.

I have another club I want to do this for.  Does
anybody have a recommendation on what video
camera to get to do these teleconferences?
This other club has a ton of money and maybe I
can talk them into it.  I sure would like to hear the
experience of others doing this.  What do I need
to output the camera data to the internet?

I feel like I'm back in the Dark Ages.  I can't
believe this is so rarely done.

Mike