[pm-h] Perl Mongers meeting times

Mike Flannigan mikeflan at att.net
Sun Jul 5 12:51:56 PDT 2009

Haufler, Wayne A wrote:
> 1. Which days of the week would be good for you to attend Houston.pm
> meetings?
>

> 2. What times of the day would you be willing to attend Houston.pm
> meetings?
>
> 3. Would you come to the meeting if we changed the time/date?
>
> 4. Would you come to the meeting if we changed the location? If so,
> where would you like to see the meetings?
>
> I think you'd see a big jump in attendance (including mine) if you
> opened it up to virtual attendance, that is, setup a Webex session or
> some such.  I brought this up before and I understand there are
> challenges, but there are also more tools and services (web-based) that
> provide for this (GoToMeeting.com?).  I'd think most of us may even be
> willing to pay a modest club dues to pay for this.
>
> Advantages include gas money savings and drive time savings
>
> Disadvantages include less natural / more awkward conversations, less
> face-to-face networking (though those with webcams might could use
> them).  Ok, I think there was a show-stopper or two when I brought this
> up last, but I forget, and am too lazy to look it up right now.
>
> Of course, virtual meetings might drastically reduce the number of
> physical attendees.
>
> Thanks,

I agree totally, but I just went toGoToMeeting.com
to set up my account and I discovered it is $50 per
month!  Yikes.

I sure would like to see something like that get going.
I know WebEx works good, because I have used
it numerous times.  It's not just the cost to users, but
also the cost to the meeting organizers to get the
microphones, etc to put it on.

Mike