[pm-h] May presentation is up

Mike Flannigan mikeflan at earthlink.net
Thu May 18 19:09:10 PDT 2006

"G. Wade Johnson" wrote:

> Would you be willing to do a presentation or write something up on the modules
> you use? (A quick blurb hitting the high points would be good.)

I think I did too much talking  :-)

I'm not going to be giving a presentation anytime real soon,
but maybe someday.  I wrote those modules more than
2 years ago and I don't fully know totally how they work
anymore.  I need to study them someday and write up
some documentation on them.

I do use them every day.  Usually dozens of times per
day.  The best one does a pretty good multi-field search
of flat text file databases with 2,000,000+ records.  Many
different Perl scripts call it, and it has this line:
my (undef, $filename, undef) = caller; # Store calling filename for later
processing (i.e. "noprint" and "wpdbs")

to determine the calling program and do different things
for different calling programs.  Pretty basic stuff.  There
is a lot of math in the thing, and a fair bit of logic.  It is
about 300 lines longs.

I thought I only wrote one module, but I just found
2 others.  I use them and forget about them  :-)  They
must be fairly good.