More personal horn honking...

Steve Johnson steve at bbdltd.com
Tue Aug 7 09:43:08 CDT 2001

The "Steve Johnson Media Madness" machine continues to pump out
self-promotional drivel to the perl list.  Just found out I'm one of 20
contest finalists for the Embedded Linux Journal embedded linux contest.

This really DOES relate to perl as I included it as part of the proposal.

Here's the contest background:

http://embedded.linuxjournal.com/magazine/issue03/4604/

The important snippet (the reason to be in the contest, other than having a
good excuse for playing with embedded linux):

"After you develop them, we will look at your results and pick one grand
prize winner and two runners up. The grand prize winner will receive an
all-expense paid trip to Costa Rica. The runners up will each receive a Lego
Mindstorms package consisting of the Lego Mindstorms Robotics Invention
System, Mindstorms Vision Command, The Unofficial Guide to Lego Mindstorms
Robots and the Lego Mindstorms Ultimate Accessory Set.  In addition, all 20
finalists will receive priceless fame, as we will publish articles about the
various projects in ELJ."

I'd pay anything to get priceless fame!

As one of the finalists, I get a free NIC system to develop on.

Here's the announcement of the finalists:

http://embedded.linuxjournal.com/advertising/press/c2.finalists.php

Here's the summary of my proposal:

SNOT: Secure Network Orifice Tester, by Steve Johnson
SNOT will analyze network traffic to detect intrusion attempts and internal
network weaknesses. Hook the NIC to power and the network, boot up and
determine if your network is safe.

I'm a little surprised they selected this one as I thought my other
submission for a "family friendly filter" was better.  Other than being kind
of fun/sneaky/hacker like (and the acronym for the name), I'm not sure why
they liked this one.  I'm guessing my hack-a-nic site helped get me in:

http://www.geocities.com/bozolovesya2000

Never underestimate the value of a self-promotional technical website!

sj