[Chicago-talk] Interfacing to a Java pgm with API

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Tue Oct 7 09:28:49 CDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 09:11:53AM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> Anyhow, does anyone have any suggestions what avenues I might explore about
> who to make this talk to perl?  Oh, BTW they also make a C++ API too.

Sounds like a great opportunity to dig into building a Perl wrapper for
the C++ API. I've heard SWIG is a nice way for doing this. Pick up a copy
of Extending and Embedding Perl from Manning which talks all about how
to do this. EEP has a section on SWIG, and details the options you will have.

You also could try using a CPAN module like Java [1] or Inline::Java to
wrap the Java directly in Perl. I have no experience with either, so I can't
comment on how well they work. But it would be interesting. At the very least,
if you come up with a workable solution it would make a killer
chicago-pm/uniforum presentation.

//Ed