[BNE-PM] group admin

Derek Thomson derek at wedgetail.com
Mon Aug 12 21:34:52 CDT 2002

Hi Gordon,

Yes, that seems sensible. What about the web site (http://brisbane.pm.org)?

> I suppose nominations and a show of virtual hands would be best (the group
> is quite large now - around 25 if I am guessing correctly). I know there
> are some motivated people out there and it would be good to get some
> meetings and social events going - easy for me to say from the other side
> of the world!
>
> So... the floor is open. Do you want to create a more formal structure? I
> can assist with that.

What kind of structure are your considering?

> Or does someone want to simply take on the role of a
> list admin.

Since there's been no response, although I'm already heavily commited to
various open-source things, I volunteer.

Some points in favour and against:

+
   * I like Perl a whole lot.
   * My block of units has a large-ish BBQ area + pool, which may be
     useful.

-
   * I'm already very busy with the Perl ORB, and Fnorb (the Python ORB).

I'd be interested in putting together some presentations/tutorials on
various aspects of Perl if people were interested.

The content would depend on the needs and experience level of the group,
but some topics that come to mind in areas I use (nearly) every day are:
advanced Perl (references, modules etc), object-oriented Perl, parsing
with Parse::RecDescent, advanced regexes, XML processing, threading in
Perl 5.8, and of course distributed and interoperable applications with
Perl + CORBA.

Regards,
Derek.