[boulder.pm] meeting?

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Tue Sep 3 12:53:29 CDT 2002

Chip Atkinson writes:
> It's not something sophisticated, but it's what we have.  We have to use
> cgi-bin scripts rather than php.

How about considering mod_perl?  It's faster and more reliable than
cgi imo.

> The two main reasons for this are that
> it's the way it's been done in the past and that our version of Oracle
> (7.x) doesn't work with php.  Actually php seems to have a bug in it that
> prevents reliable data retrieval from Oracle.  Also, we weren't able to
> integrate perldb either due to some problems building.  I think our oracle
> installation is a bit weird too.

We have seen some instability with the later versions of the Perl
DBD::Oracle driver, too.  Nothing we've bothered to track down right
now, i.e. consider this a weak rumor.  Older DBD is rock solid,
however.  Oracle itself does corrupt the DB on occassion, but only the
indexes thus far.

Rob