Installing Perl 5.6.1 from source on Debian

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Tue Jan 15 16:45:09 CST 2002

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 05:00:53PM +0000, Russell Matbouli wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 06:58:27PM -0500, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> > Prayer.
>
> and symlinks. I ended up symlinking Debian.pm and Debian/ to a 5.6.1
> visible area. Now I keep getting warnings during apt-gets...
>
> > Ruling out divine intervention, you could just upgrade to the testing
> > distribution.  Its already using 5.6.1 and its quite stable.  I've
> > been using it for years. [1] Just be prepared for it to Do Things to
> > your computer, like install X 4.0 (which isn't Bad, just might require
> > some reconfiguration).
>
> I don't really want to be on the bleeding edge for my laptop.

unstable is bleeding edge.  testing is stuff that's already been
through unstable, has no critical bugs and is being tested for stable.
You won't get more than the occasional papercut.  I run it on my
laptop (a Powerbook no less) and haven't had a non-self inflicted
wound in a long time.

> For a start, trying to get the winmodem to work has caused too many
> kernel panics, so I'll probably only have it online via ethernet
> occasionally until I get that sorted out. Last time I used testing,
> I was apt-getting dozens of megs every week or so...

Yep, testing will do that.  OTOH, you could create an Amazing
Simulation of stable by running apt-get for testing once and then just
don't run it again.

> > [1]  Of course, I also just fixed my laptop with masking tape.
>
> Hey, whatever works!

It broke again. :( All the colors on my screen are inverted.  Now I'm
trying to fix my hardware problem with software!  I've just hacked the
kernel atyfb driver to invert all colors.  Let's see if that works.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <schwern at pobox.com>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl Quality Assurance	    <perl-qa at perl.org>	       Kwalitee Is Job One