Installing Perl 5.6.1 from source on Debian

Russell Matbouli russell-blug at futureless.org
Tue Jan 15 11:00:53 CST 2002

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 06:58:27PM -0500, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> Prayer.

and symlinks. I ended up symlinking Debian.pm and Debian/ to a 5.6.1
visible area. Now I keep getting warnings during apt-gets...

> Ruling out divine intervention, you could just upgrade to the testing
> distribution.  Its already using 5.6.1 and its quite stable.  I've
> been using it for years. [1] Just be prepared for it to Do Things to
> your computer, like install X 4.0 (which isn't Bad, just might require
> some reconfiguration).

I don't really want to be on the bleeding edge for my laptop. For a
start, trying to get the winmodem to work has caused too many kernel
panics, so I'll probably only have it online via ethernet occasionally
until I get that sorted out. Last time I used testing, I was apt-getting
dozens of megs every week or so...

> [1]  Of course, I also just fixed my laptop with masking tape.

Hey, whatever works!
--
Russell Matbouli       | "ooooooooh heres the internet - lets try mount it ...."
russell at futureless.org |           - seen in a technical support email