Roll Call. . .

J. Scot Ridgway scot at ridgways.org
Tue Nov 16 01:36:42 CST 1999

--
Scot Ridgway
scot at ridgways.org

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 corliss at alaskapm.org wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, J. Scot Ridgway wrote:
>
> > Alrighty then!
> >
> > Ideas are good so far...
> >
> > A coupla others might be:
> >
> > Perl Programming contests:
> >
> > 	1) 	Frozen Perl contest--guess when the perl will melt based
> > 		on pseudo-random enviro data, ala Nenana Classic.
> >
> > 		Difficult to set-up but could be fun, not so much a
> > 		measure of programming skill as means of generating
> > 		interest.
>
> Can you explain this one a bit more indepth?  I have to admit I'm not entirely
> sure what all this entails. . .

Well I must say that I haven't thought it through either but could be
something like a a simulated ice classic--I think this one would be more
trouble than it is worth...

> > 	2)	Create a program to accomplish some "silly" task using
> > 		ONLY a very limited list of functions--or the like.
>
> :-)  That's a good idea, too. . .
>
> > How about a list of our top three perl books?
> >
> > Mine: (Camel book is a given)
> >
> > 	Effective Perl Programming--Joe Hall
> > 	Advanced Perl Programming--Sriam Srinivasan
> > 	Mastering Algorithms with Perl--Orwant, et al
>
> Eh, no Cookbook?  I'd swap that with the Advanced, perhaps, for my list. . .

Nay, the Cookbook is fairly useful I must say I just have not used it as
much. I did enjoy some of the interesting views in Advanced though.

> > Or three favorite modules:
> >
> > 	DBI
> > 	CGI
> > 	mod_perl (Apache)
>
> :-)  Not sure that mod_perl can count as a *Perl* module, but I'm there with
> you anyway.  I don't use the CGI as much, though, and would have to favour
> Curses. . .

Hey, I did include Apache as in Apache.pm, yeah, yeah I know :-)

Curses => Not much for me here either.

<snip>