Roll Call. . .

corliss at alaskapm.org corliss at alaskapm.org
Tue Nov 16 01:31:36 CST 1999

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, J. Scot Ridgway wrote:

> Alrighty then!
>
> Ideas are good so far...
>
> A coupla others might be:
>
> Perl Programming contests:
>
> 	1) 	Frozen Perl contest--guess when the perl will melt based
> 		on pseudo-random enviro data, ala Nenana Classic.
>
> 		Difficult to set-up but could be fun, not so much a
> 		measure of programming skill as means of generating
> 		interest.

Can you explain this one a bit more indepth?  I have to admit I'm not entirely
sure what all this entails. . .

> 	2)	Create a program to accomplish some "silly" task using
> 		ONLY a very limited list of functions--or the like.

:-)  That's a good idea, too. . .

> How about a list of our top three perl books?
>
> Mine: (Camel book is a given)
>
> 	Effective Perl Programming--Joe Hall
> 	Advanced Perl Programming--Sriam Srinivasan
> 	Mastering Algorithms with Perl--Orwant, et al

Eh, no Cookbook?  I'd swap that with the Advanced, perhaps, for my list. . .

> Or three favorite modules:
>
> 	DBI
> 	CGI
> 	mod_perl (Apache)

:-)  Not sure that mod_perl can count as a *Perl* module, but I'm there with
you anyway.  I don't use the CGI as much, though, and would have to favour
Curses. . .

	--Arthur Corliss
	  Perl Monger/Alaska Perl Mongers
	  http://www.alaskapm.org/