Conference in Cloud and online meeting technology

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Wed May 27 16:34:06 PDT 2020

> On #yapc, Todd has already mentioned that if you're presenting over
> Zoom and you're sharing slides from your laptop screen, the refresh
> rate of those slides is much slower than what you would normally
> desire.  Hence, you are advised to have fewer transitions among (or
> within) slides than you would if you were plugging your laptop into a
> conference-quality data projector.
>
> Can other people confirm that that is good advice?  (I suspect this
> is not limited to Zoom.)

I haven't seen that at all presenting here at the LUG. Your computer
seems like a nice platform for testing throughput (e.g., not on fiber,
not the most modern).

> Also, slide layout and typography:  What have people found works best
> over Zoom?  My impression so far is that I can get away with my
> normal fonts in my slides -- but that if I go share my terminal, the
> font, font size and background color need to be chosen more carefully
> than usual.

So far my usual format (black line across the top, sparse black-on-
grey below) seems to look decent.

> What have people learned with respect to sharing your screen, both in
> slides and in terminal?

The main issue is that people see you (sort of) or the slides but not
both. A big part of my keeping people awake is moving around,
interacting with people in the audience. With Zoom it's my voice
droning along with the slides. The best way I've found to keep things
moving is progressive slides, with the content updating 3-5 times
per slide. If refresh rates are that much of an issue then that may
prove to be a bad idea...

--
Steven Lembark
Workhorse Computing