Conference in Cloud and online meeting technology

Walt Mankowski waltman at pobox.com
Tue May 26 06:43:00 PDT 2020

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 07:57:50AM -0400, James E Keenan via yapc wrote:
> Also, slide layout and typography:  What have people found works best over
> Zoom?  My impression so far is that I can get away with my normal fonts in
> my slides -- but that if I go share my terminal, the font, font size and
> background color need to be chosen more carefully than usual.

I haven't presented over Zoom yet but I've watched a bunch of
presentations. I think you can get away with smaller fonts than you'd
use at an in-person meeting. A mistake many people make is that they
assume that since the fonts look fine to them when they're sitting in
front of a monitor, they'll also look find to someone sitting in the
10th row. But for an online presentation pretty everyone in your
audience will also be sitting in front of a monitor.

You should probably avoid really tiny fonts and low-contrast colors,
but the margin of error is much greater.

Walt