Conference in Cloud and online meeting technology

James E Keenan jkeenan at pobox.com
Tue May 26 04:57:50 PDT 2020

Third of three posts:

If you're like me, at this point in the pandemic you're reaching your
breaking point with online meetings and online meetings technology.
Alas, that's what we're stuck with for the Conference in the Cloud
(https://perlconference.us/tpc-2020-cloud/).

By now, some of us have experienced the joys and sorrows of *presenting*
in online meetings.  I'd like to encourage some discussion of those
experiences so that we can have a less painful experience during CiC
next month.

Specifically, I want to talk about slides.

On #yapc, Todd has already mentioned that if you're presenting over Zoom
and you're sharing slides from your laptop screen, the refresh rate of
those slides is much slower than what you would normally desire.  Hence,
you are advised to have fewer transitions among (or within) slides than
you would if you were plugging your laptop into a conference-quality
data projector.

Can other people confirm that that is good advice?  (I suspect this is
not limited to Zoom.)

Also, slide layout and typography:  What have people found works best
over Zoom?  My impression so far is that I can get away with my normal
fonts in my slides -- but that if I go share my terminal, the font, font
size and background color need to be chosen more carefully than usual.

What have people learned with respect to sharing your screen, both in
slides and in terminal?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan