[yapc] Talk submissions are closed

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Thu Apr 29 11:36:15 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 02:14:55PM -0400, Scott Walters wrote:
> > Rob,
> >
> > I know you meant well by this, but please, NEVER encourage anyone to
> > do their not-accepted long talk as a lightning talk.  It simply won't
> > fit in the time allotted, and makes the speaker look like a desperate
> > fool.  A lightning talk is a completely different beast from any other
> > kind, and is something you write from the ground up as a lightning
> > talk.
>
> I'd like to politely descent here.

ITYM "dissent." :)

> Having a full length talk rejected is not a sure indication that
> that speaker should not be speaking, period.

I never said, or even hinted, that it was, and you're stretching
"politeness" quite a bit by inferring that I did.

I have seen people tank projects and dig themselves into holes of
disrespect by trying to cram a 45-minute talk into 5.

Over and over and over again.

All over the world.

Saying words to the effect of, "if you didn't get your talk in the
main track, cram it into a lightning talk," is pretty much equivalent
to leading someone into this situation and then failing to take
responsibility for the consequences when they do what I just
described.

Cheers,
David.
--