[yapc] Pre-Conference Dinner

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Thu May 29 15:27:59 PDT 2008

On Thu, 29 May 2008, Jason L. Froebe wrote:

> It's probably quite impossible for the organizers to find a place that
> would make everyone happy...  you could throw in any number of food
> preferences (Kosher, allergies, etc).  Perhaps a poll for the next YAPC
> requesting people's preferences?

Some things are easier than others. Offering vegan options at a banquet,
especially if that banquet is a buffet, is rather trivial. Many common
things can be made vegan easily (salad, bread, pasta dishes, rice dishes,
stir-fry, etc). It's usually just a case of asking the caterers in
advance, and making sure they understand the meaning of vegan.

Kosher, OTOH, has much, much stricter requirements about the kitchen.
Allergies are sort of in-between, but it's not hard to make sure you have
some gluten and nut free food, at least.

For the record, at Frozen Perl we provided vegetarian, vegan, and
gluten-free meals as options, and it wasn't too much of a hassle to
organize.

It would be _much_ easier if this was supported as part of the user
profile in ACT, but I note that I haven't written that patch yet ;)

-dave

VegGuide.Org
Your guide to all that's veg