[yapc] A word of caution

Jim Connor (JGC Interactive Inc.) jim at jgcinteractive.com
Thu Jun 15 15:20:53 PDT 2006

I'm arriving by Air Canada at about 8:20 PM.
Anyone want to share a cab?
Any idea what a cab from O'Hare to IIT would cost?

Jim Connor

Clyde Forrester wrote:
> Todd Olson wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have been researching the immediate area of IIT for restaurants, groceries
>> and such.  I have recently talked with two men, one who currently lives in the
>> area and another one who grew up there.  Both of them have STRONGLY CAUTIONED
>> me about wandering around the area, particularly to the south and east.  They
>> say doing so presents a serious risk of being assaulted.
>>
>> Perhaps some one with first hand experience both in the IIT area
>> as well away from that area can provide some insights?  Keeping
>> in mind that some of us has always lived in pretty gentle communities.
>> Help me be prudent and avoid being alarmist.
>>
> I went to IIT in the late 70s/early 80s.
>
> At that time it was:
> Projects to the south, projects to the north, nothing much interesting
> to the east, and Bridgeport to the west. Bridgeport is Mayor Daley's old
> neighborhood.
>
> The lighter skinned students would not stray south, east or north except
> in groups. The dark skinned students would not venture into Bridgeport
> unless part of a group of students.
>
> Since I went there, the neighborhood (Bronzeville) has gone up a squeak.
> They are tearing down the high rise projects and replacing them with 2
> to 3 story housing projects. They put in a new police division
> headquarters at 35th and Michigan. They rebuilt the McDonald's on 35th.
>
> As I recall, there's a strip mall on 35th, way east at maybe Cottage
> Grove. It had a Walgreen's. There could be some small fast food like a
> Subway's. I don't know. I wouldn't venture north or south, as that's
> pretty much just projects. There could be some local restaurants on west
> 31st or west 35th. There's always China Town to the northwest, but take
> the "L".
>
> As others have suggested, don't look aggressive, but don't look like a
> chump. Travel in groups. Be polite like a Canadian or something. Don't
> stick your elbows out all the time. I had no problems in that part of
> the city when I went there. But I had long hair, a grizzly beard, grubby
> clothes and a half crazed look. (YMMV).
>
> Clyde Forrester

JGC Interactive Inc.
www.jgcinteractive.com
Phone: 905-483-6054
Fax: 905-631-6054

This e-mail and its attachments may contain JGC Interactive Inc.
proprietary information, which is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, or subject
to COPYRIGHT belonging to JGC Interactive Inc. This e-mail is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed.
 If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, or the employee
or agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments
to this e-mail is STRICTLY PROHIBITED and may be UNLAWFUL.  If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any
printout. Thank You.