[yapc] Re: Somebody Vs. Somebody Else

Chip Salzenberg chip at pobox.com
Mon Jun 7 10:52:57 CDT 2004

According to Walt Mankowski:
> Of course, this is day after we're planning on leaving a perfectly
> good bar to watch people pretend to do magic and fly around on brooms
> playing an even sillier game.

The Harry Potter thing is my #1 "what the fuck?" moment for YAPC.
Next to the movie, the soccer game is almost rational.  At least the
game is a real contest of actual live human beings, albeit ones that
we don't know and will almost certainly never even meet.

So you're going to waste half of a perfectly good evening in the
company of your fellow geeks, some of whom you may never meet again,
on a movie.  A Harry Potter movie.  On IMAX.

Let's put this in context.  We're all going to travel to an out-of-
the-way town to be with other Perl geeks and enjoy an almost
unparalleled ratio of geek existence to geek exploitation.  And you're
harvesting that uniquely Perlish gathering to collect an audience for
a mediocre fantasy movie just because it's on a REALLY BIG SCREEN?

What.  The.  Fuck.
--
Chip Salzenberg            - a.k.a. -             <chip at pobox.com>
'"Bob" is two dimensional, and that is what gives Him such depth.'