[Wellington-pm] Next meeting, etc

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Tue Jan 27 16:28:27 PST 2009

Hi Mongers

3 things ...

1) Next meeting: February 10th

   I'm thrilled to confirm that Jacinta Richardson and Paul Fenwick will
   be visiting Wellington in February and are going to come and talk to
   us about something (as yet unspecified).

   Paul and Jacinta run Perl Training Australia; are based in
   Melbourne; have notched up numerous conference appearances
   (including: OSDC, SAGE-AU, Linux.conf.au and OSCON); and were part of
   the core team that got the OSDC conference off the ground in
   Australia.

   The meeting start time is 6:00pm as usual and we may go for a meal
   afterwards.

   http://wellington.pm.org/
   http://perltraining.com.au/

2) Linux.conf.au 2010 needs your help

   As you may have heard, a Wellington team was successful in bidding to
   host the 2010 Linux.conf.au.  No doubt the people assessing the bids
   were swayed by the letter from the coordinator of Wellington Perl
   Mongers pledging support.  It seems likely that we'll organise a Perl
   'mini-conf' for one of the days leading up to the conference proper.
   There will also be plenty of opportunities for you to get involved in
   making sure the conference is a success.  Stay tuned for more details
   or let me know if there's something specific you can help with. Also,
   if your company would like to talk about sponsoring the event, take a
   look at the web site. The conference will be in January.

   http://www.penguinsvisiting.org.nz/

3) Submit a proposal to speak at OSCON

   OSCON 2009 will be in San Jose.  Time is quickly running out for
   submitting a talk proposal.  If you want to do it, see the web site
   for details:

   http://assets.en.oreilly.com/1/event/27/oscon2009_email_u012309.htm